Home  |   Search  |   Contact  |   Conditions  |   Business Solutions  |   About

Create Account   |   Login

Join the world community for sharing Business Info !
 Already have an account ?  Login
Regular private passenger road
Junction Road Halt, also known as Junction Road for Hawkhurst, was a halt station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. It was located on the eastern side of the level crossing across the B2244 Junction Road near the hamlet of Udiam in East Sussex, England. Closed for passengers in 1954 and freight in 1961 with the line, Junction Road Halt may yet be revived as the Rother Valley Railway, a preservation society, is proposing to reopen the line from Robertsbridge to Bodiam, including the rebuilding of the intermediate stations.
ion Road Halt
Place Udiam nr Bodiam
Area Rother
Grid reference TQ771243
Original company Rother Valley Railway
Pre-grouping Kent and East Sussex Railway
Post-grouping Southern Region of British Railways
Platforms 1
2 April 1900 Opened as Junction Road
May 1901 Closed
June 1903 Reopened
January 1954 Closed to regular services
11 June 1961 Closed to all traffic

Junction Road station was first opened in 1900 as a private platform for the benefit of the tenant of the adjoining fields who enjoyed shooting rights over the land. The station was situated on the eastern side of a level crossing on the turnpike road from Hawkhurst to Hastings called Junction Road (now part of the B2244 road). The crossing was originally gated, but cattle grids later replaced the gates to prevent livestock from straying onto the line. After a brief closure, Colonel Stephens, the proprietor of the Kent and East Sussex Railway (KESR) (then known as the Rother Valley Railway) formally applied in 1903 for permission to open the station to the public. Although it is unclear whether authorisation was actually granted, the station began to appear in the railway company’s timetables later that year. The station’s running-in board read Junction Road for Hawkhurst, even though the village of Hawkhurst was some 4 miles (6.4 km) away and, in any event, had been served by its own railway station for the last eleven years. A lack of funds meant that no station buildings were provided at Junction Road, the station consisting merely of a single unsheltered platform constructed of wood and earth. In February 1910, a siding was commissioned on the Robertsbridge side of the B2244.

Junction Road, which was convenient for the Guinness hop farm, saw substantial passenger traffic during the hop-picking season, and this may have contributed towards the decision to renew the platform in 1948. The KESR had acquired the materials prior to nationalisation, and the work was completed by British Railways. The concrete parts had been made at the Exmouth concrete works near Exeter and supplied by the Southern Railway. The platform was sufficiently long to accommodate a two-carriage train.

Regular passenger services ceased in January 1954 but it continued to be used for special services. The last publicly-advertised service to pass through the station was a seven-carriage Locomotive Club of Great Britain special, worked by Nos. 32662 and 32670, which ran on 11 June 1961. After closure a preservation group was formed to reopen the line. After many years of negotiations the Ministry of Transport however refused permission for the section of line west of Bodiam, on the basis of the level crossings at Junction Road and on the A21 road. The track was removed between Bodiam and Robertsbridge in the early 1970s however the section between Bodiam and Tenterden has been reopened. The platform was still in situ in 1987 but was removed a few years later.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : Regular private passenger road
If you like to see your banner here please go to  Business Solutions